If you cant find an answer to your question ,then please contact us and we will be happy to help.

Although Civil Enforcement Officers look similar to Traffic Wardens, they are employed by the local authority, and not the Police. Civil Enforcement Officers issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCN's) not parking tickets or fines.

A Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) will be issued if a restriction is contravened. For more information on these contraventions click here: The Police will continue to enforce other traffic offences which can result in penalty points on a driving license. This includes dangerous parking, causing an obstruction, parking on pedestrian crossings and all moving traffic offences

No. Although parking offences have been decriminalised, powers have been given to local authorities to allow them to enforce parking restrictions under the Traffic Management Act 2004. The increased level of enforcement under CPE means that you are more likely to receive a PCN if you contravene the parking regulations both on the streets and in car parks.

The existing on-street residents' parking scheme is unaffected by the new arrangements. The Blue Badge scheme for disabled people will remain in place. If people know in advance that they need to park in a restricted area, e.g. for a funeral or wedding, they should contact the relevant local authority for further advice.

A Traffic Regulation Order is not required for a bus stop or bus stop clearway to be enforceable. However a bus stop or bus stop clearway must be correctly signed stating that stopping is not permitted. Where a vehicle driver is present, a request should be asked to move. An instant Penalty Charge Notice should be issued if the request is ignored. If there is no bus stop clearway, but a yellow line is present at the bus stop, it may be permissible to load or unload, and vehicles doing so, should not be issued with a PCN.

No, unless outside of the times of the regulations in force; these will be shown on signs indicating the times of operation near to the kerb. Parking for even short periods within these times is not permitted and you could be issued with a PCN.

You can receive a PCN if you park partly or wholly on a pavement or verge that is adjacent to yellow lines. Parking on footways obstructs the way for pedestrians and causes damage to the surface and equipment underneath.

No, not all restrictions need a time plate. For example double yellow lines mean "No Waiting at any Time". A time plate is no longer required and almost all have been removed. Don't take a chance, if in doubt, park somewhere else. If there are no time plates, you should assume that the restriction is 24/7, as per the Highway Code.

Not unless the waiting restriction allows you to load or unload.

No. Penalty points are imposed for certain driving offences dealt with by the Police under criminal proceedings.

No. At the present time it is not intended to introduce clamping or removals (other than by bailiffs for unpaid debts), but this is an option which could be considered in the future.

The driver committing the infringement should make payment. However, should the PCN remain unpaid, the council will pursue payment from the registered keeper of the vehicle.

For the past few years, limited resources have meant that the Police can only give a low priority to enforcing yellow lines and other restrictions. Because the local authorities receive numerous complaints about illegal or inconsiderate parking, they consider it a far higher priority and can take action using the increased resources available through CPE.

Yes. Click here to log in using your PCN details (PCN reference and vehicle registration number) where you can view evidence of your parking charge. After viewing the evidence, if you feel the PCN was wrongly issued or that there are special circumstances in your case you can submit a challenge using the online challenge form by clicking 'Appeal'. Please fully explain your reasons for disputing the penalty charge. All challenges must be received via the online challenge form - challenges made over the phone cannot be accepted.


There are three stages to the process of contesting the issue of a PCN:
1. Challenges - up to 28 days from the issue of the PCN
2. Formal Representations - after the issue of a Notice to Owner
3. An appeal to the Independent Adjudication - Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT)

NB ALL Challenges MUST be made using the online Challenge Form. Please log in using your PCN details, where you can view your evidence, make a payment or make an appeal. Please note that there are a limited number of grounds for appeal relating to a PCN. Click here to view the Grounds for Appeal

If you feel your PCN has been issued incorrectly you may make a challenge using the online challenge form within 28 days of the date served. If your challenge is received within the 14 day discount period, your ticket will be put on hold and the amount due will not increase.
Your challenge will be assessed and we will write back to you with our decision. If we decide not to cancel your PCN, you will be given the opportunity to pay the discounted charge of £25 or £35 (depending on the contravention), providing you had challenged it within 14 days.

If no payment is made within 28 days of the date a PCN is served, a Notice to Owner (NtO) will be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle and the full charge will be payable. If you receive an NtO, you can use the form included to make formal representations to us. The NtO gives details of the legal grounds on which formal representation may be made.
The representation will be assessed and we will write back to you with our decision. If we decide not to cancel the penalty charge, we will send you a letter explaining why, called a Notice of Rejection (NoR). You will be given the opportunity to pay the full charge of £50 or £70 (depending on the offence). We will also explain how you can appeal to the Independent Parking Adjudicator at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT) and will send you a form (called a Notice of Appeal) on which you can make your appeal.

If you still want to dispute the PCN you must appeal to the Independent Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving the Notice of Rejection. The Adjudicator will consider the appeal and make a decision that is binding.

Under the Traffic Management Act of 2004 you do not have grounds to make a representation or an appeal to TPT if you admit that you parked illegally, even if you argue that there were mitigating circumstances. However, the Council will carefully consider any mitigating circumstances at the formal representation stage of the procedure.

The Department of Transport's website offers detailed information about the Traffic Management Act 2004 : Decriminalised parking enforcement.

For further information relating to the life cycle of the PCN please click here

No, as long as the challenge is received within 14 days of the issue date the case will then be put on hold until a decision has been made. If the challenge is rejected you will be given a further opportunity to pay the discounted rate but this payment must be received within 14 days of the date of the rejection letter.

If you have any issues regarding your PCN you need to send a representation using the form provided with your letter and return to  SWPG, Po Box 87, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 7BL

If you lose your appeal you must pay the PCN. If you refuse, the amount of the PCN will increase by 50% and the debt will be registered by the Council at the Traffic Enforcement Centre. The Council may ask the Traffic Enforcement Centre for authorisation to recover the debt through the use of certificated bailiffs with a warrant.

You can Pay Online. It's a quick, safe and convenient way to save you valuable time.

For alternative payment methods click here.

Please note that Civil Enforcement Officers are not allowed to accept payment and are under strict instructions that once a ticket has been issued it cannot be withdrawn


Payment must be made within 56 days of the date on which the parking ticket (PCN) was issued. If, however, payment is made within 14 days then a 50% legal reduction will be applicable. For the life cycle of the ticket please click here

Legally the owner / keeper of the vehicle are responsible and it is the owner / keeper who will be pursued in any further action.

You should contact the relevant local authority where the parking issue exists.

You should contact the relevant local authority where the problem has been seen.

Make Payment

For details on how to pay the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).


For further information and Frequently Asked Questions.

View Evidence

Log in to view evidence of your parking charge.